What is back pain?
Low back pain is very complex as there are many structures which may be causing your pain. Roughly 80% of people will experience low back pain at some point in their lives and it is one of the most common causes of disability and people needing time off work.
Low back pain may be categorised as either acute or chronic.
Acute low back pain
- extremely painful and disabling
- may be either a slipped disc, joint injury, muscle strain, or ligament sprain
- normally occurs with bending forwards combined with a twist, ie lifting awkwardly
- spinal fractures are another form of acute low back pain but are thankfully very rare and usually involve a direct fall onto the spine or a car accident
Seeking early treatment is paramount to quickly reduce your pain and for a speedy recovery. If left untreated, these acute pains can lead to chronic lower back pain and sciatica.
Chronic low back pain
- persistent dull ache and stiffness
- the result of repetitive small injuries to the lower back
- can be painful with certain movements and postures
- long term complications include arthritis, spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease
Do not endanger yourself by neglecting your back care.
If you experience acute or chronic low back pain it is essential to have a comprehensive assessment from your Swan Physiotherapist to discover the cause of your injury. They are experts in not only relieving back pain, but also in teaching you how to fix it (and stop it from coming back).
How can we help?
- Mobilisations and Manipulations (Adjustments) of the lower back to decrease pain and improve spinal movement.
- Soft Tissue Massage to relieve pain and stiffness by reducing tension and muscle spasm.
- Acupuncture / Dry Needling for enhanced pain relief and deactivating painful trigger points. This can be combined with Electrotherapy for a greater effect and to decrease your reliance on painkillers.
- Kinesio-Taping can be used to help retrain specific movements and postures, therefore preventing you from slipping into old habits and having the pain return.
- A Core Stability Program will provide you with a solid muscular foundation to support your lower spine and prevent reoccurrence of injury.
- Postural and Lifting Education will explain how poor postures or incorrect lifting techniques may caused your lower back pain. An Ergonomic Assessment at your workplace can be performed if necessary.
Are you suffering from the daily routine of nagging and annoying low back pain that so too many of us experience? Are you sick and tired of living in pain and are constantly having to reach for the medication cabinet to get you through a normal work day?
Luckily for you, the experts at Swan Physiotherapy know exactly how you feel as we see this every day. Come in and see us today before nagging and annoying becomes SEVERE and PAINFUL!!!